Proper cleaning and maintenance of upholstered furniture depends on the correct cleaning supplies and methods. Here are some useful tips for cleaning and maintaining your modern and contemporary upholstered furniture, especially your sectionals and sofa sets.
What you need:
1) dry cloths OR sponges
2) vacuum with brush attachment OR a soft brush
3) sticky clothing lint roller OR masking tape OR velour clothing lint brush
4) fabric protectors
How to clean
- FABRIC CLEANING CODES: Always check furniture manuals for the proper cleaning agent to use. Some modern fabric sofas require a solvent-based cleaner while others require water-based cleaners. You can also check the furniture itself for the following labels:
O = Cold water and biodegradable detergent or eco-friendly soap. Air dry or organic dry cleaning.
S = Solvent-Based Cleaning Products only.
W = Water-Based Cleaning Products only.
SW = Solvent-Based or Water-Based. Both options may be used to clean the product.
X = Vacuuming or light brushing only.
- VACUUM: Remove any dust, debris or crumbs that have built up between crevices and underneath cushions. Be sure to use the brush attachment of the vacuum. Alternatively, a soft brush is a good tool for removing small amounts of dirt.
- ATTEND TO SPILLS: Use a dry cloth or sponge to absorb the spill immediately. After absorbing as much of the spill as possible, use another dry cloth to dab any remaining liquid until the affected area is completely dry.
DO NOT wipe or rub the spill as this may cause it to spread.
- PET HAIR REMOVAL: Pet hair can be removed one of three ways. Your first option can be a regular sticky clothing lint remover. If one is not accessible, you may wrap masking tape around your hand, sticky side out, and pick up loose hairs and fuzz. Your third option is a velour clothing lint brush, which is sensitive to fabrics and upholstery but tough on lint, hairs and fuzz.
How to maintain your sofa or sectional
- FLIP: Periodically flip cushions to prevent indentations. Rotating cushions from one seat to another is also helpful, seeing as some seats are used more often than others. This not only divides the amount of usage but also allows for equal distribution of wear and tear.
- FLUFF: Fluff cushions after each cleaning to help maintain its shape.
- PROTECT: Fabric protectors can prevent spills from seeping into upholstered materials.
Learn more about Sofa Sets Care Over Here